Wednesday, February 27, 2019

I'll take the "silver"




When I was a little kid my Dad would empty his pocket change and he would ask me if I wanted the pennies. Oh my! Well, of course, I wanted the pennies! That was money.  As I got older when he would empty his pocket change he would let me choose whether I wanted a penny or nickel. Well, of course, I was going to take the shiny "silver". I mean who wouldn't? It was so much prettier and bigger than the penny. With that much shine, it had to be worth more. One night the game changed. My Dad emptied his pocket change and he gave me the choice of either a nickel or a dime. I was still very young, not yet in kindergarten so money still had little meaning to me. However, I ultimately choose the nickel. My Dad asked me if I was sure. Well, of course, I was sure. He chuckled a bit at me when I told him my reason, it was bigger than the other "silver". "What if the little coin is actually worth more than the bigger coin?" he asked. I puzzled on that for a few days. How could that be?

I was young and didn't understand the value of money.  I have of course since learned what each coin is worth and it's value is not about size or shininess.

In our dating infancy, we may likely gravitate towards persons who seem the best for us because they are so "shiny". The more experience we get we start looking beyond the exterior and begin looking for what is truly valuable, what our time and ourselves truly are worth.

I had a young woman tell me once when she was talking about her partner, she said she was faithful to her boyfriend because she realized he was a good, solid man. "Why would I bend down to pick up a penny, when I have a nickel in my hand?"

Have you found your "silver"?  If you have let them know.  As you know silver gets tarnished and needs to be polished in order to keep it's shiny appearance.  Show them that you value them by spending time with them.  Keep your relationship new and polished.  It is work but it is worth it.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Choosing an Officiant

Your wedding will be one of the biggest days of your life. You will spend months working out every little detail. You will be choosing t...